Extra journeys added to bus services in Somerset
- From Monday 27 November, changes to Buses of Somerset’s timetables will further improve punctuality and reliability
- Following customer feedback, earlier buses added to help locals get to work
- Evening services extended on the 21 service
As part of its programme to improve bus services for local people, Buses of Somerset is adding extra journeys to a number of its services.
Following customer feedback, First Bus South, which operates Buses of Somerset, is making some changes to timetables from Monday 27 November. These changes include adding earlier journeys to some routes to support workers, as well as extending evening services on the 21.
The operator has also been monitoring punctuality and reliability, and some other minor amends will be made to timetables to improve the running time of buses.
Bus network changes:
Services 1, 6 & 7 (Taunton Town Services)
- Some changes to journeys in the morning peak to support people to get to work. No changes to Saturday journeys.
Services 21, 21a (Taunton – Bridgwater – Burnham-on-Sea)
- A new timetable will be introduced to allow additional journey time to improve punctually.
- Following customer requests, an earlier journey on the 21 will be added from Taunton at 0500 to Burnham-on-Sea (Monday to Friday) and 0515 from Taunton to Bridgwater (Saturday).
- During the evenings Monday to Saturday buses on service 21 will be extended from Bridgwater Bus Station to Dunball, Admiral’s Table providing an hourly service to the North of Bridgwater.
- The 0750 21 journey will become a 21a, departing at 0755 to allow students to get to Heathfield Community School.
- No changes to the Sunday timetable.
Services 22, 22a & X22 (Taunton – Wellington – Tiverton)
- A new timetable will be introduced to allow additional journey time to improve punctually. Some changes to early morning departures on Monday to Friday to allow earlier arrivals in Wellington from Taunton.
51 (Yeovil Town service)
- Minor changes on Mon-Fri only at 0900 to remove waiting time at Asda. Buses will now wait in Yeovil Bus Station.
Services 623 and 625 (Bridgwater College)
- Minor changes to the timetable to improve punctuality.
The Exmoor Coaster
- Services will stop running for the winter from Sunday 26 November. The service will return in early 2024.
- Dorset Council have requested that the service now becomes the CR4. No changes to the route or timetable.
Services 55, 77/77a
- No changes will be made to the timetables, but these services will be operated by First West of England and Wales from Wells depot, rather than Buses of Somerset’s Yeovil depot. This does not affect customers.
James Eustace, Commercial Director at First South, said: “Our customers are at the heart of everything we do, and we’re making these changes after listening to their feedback. People told us they needed earlier buses to get to work, so we’re adding these journeys in on weekdays. We’re also adjusting some journey times to improve punctuality and help students get to school.
“At the same time, following the timetable changes in September, we are also seeing improvements in punctuality on our services. Our focus is on running a reliable service for local people and we’re working hard to make that happen.”